Thursday, September 19, 2013

Night and Day It's Cinderella


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Kidz Korner
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
If you are reading to a boy, don’t pass this post by because of the title.  I actually found books about “Cinderella” that fourth grade boys even loved!  They all claimed they didn’t know the story but I think they were covering for watching the movie when they were little guys.  I played along though and we all ended up having a wonderful time comparing the various stories.

 

Bigfoot Cinderrrrrrella by Tony Johnston

 
This is the one that got the boys.  It is a hilarious retelling of the old story and it’s stinky and odoriferous and  horrendous.  All the bigfoot women want to marry the prince but he hates the wildflowers in their fur. Of course he falls for his one true love and wait til you see how! I would read this book to kids 5-8.

 

Cendrillon by Robert D. San Souci and Brian Pinkney

 
This interpretation of the story is set in the Caribbean so it has a flavor all its own.  New vocabulary words and the interesting cadence of the text makes this a great choice. I loved the different take on the fairy godmother in this tale.  The pictures are colorful and descriptive.  I would read this book to kids 6-8.

 

Chickerella by Mary Jane and Herm Auch

 
I loved the quirky tale of Chickerella.  It was fun and had a great twist at the end of the story that I sure didn’t expect.  Prepare to have your stereotypes shattered by this funny tale.  The illustrations alone are totally fascinating.  I would read this book to kids 4-8.

 

Someday your prince (or princess) may come but until then keep on reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment