Thursday, August 22, 2013

Color My World


Kidz Korner


What’s more fun than a book about colors?  A bunch of books about colors!!  Enjoy these!

 

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

 
Harold and his purple adventure can capture the mind of the youngest child.  See how he solves his problems and comes to a happy conclusion.  I would share this book with children 2- 5 years old.  Older kids can choose their favorite color and draw an adventure of their own. Try to find the longest piece of paper you can! I know one artist who was inspired to follow his career path by this great little book.

 

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?  By Bill Martin Jr & Eric Carle.

 
The cadence of this story always captivates the listener.  It is fun with vibrant pictures. My favorite has always been the blue horse.  What’s yours?  I would read this book to children 2-6 years old.  As a companion, I suggest I Went Walking by Sue Williams.  Frankly, I would pop my baby on my lap as soon as he/she could sit up and share this book with them over and over until they were in kindergarten!  Simple and fun.  One of my most favorite books ever.

 

 
 
 
 
Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown

 
This is a classic book that children just love.  The pictures are wonderful and the story is simple yet engaging.  Add the song, Grandpa’s Farm by Sharon Lois and Bram and you’ve got a total winner.  I would read this book to children 4-6 years old.  I’d sing that song with anyone!  It is available on iTunes.

 

 
 
 
 
The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt

 
Older kids will get a big kick out of the letters each crayon left for Duncan, their owner.  Each color has its own gripes and Duncan needs to fix things fast. I loved how the text is in a kid’s handwriting.  I would read this book to kids 5-8 years old.  It would be a great book for teaching point of view in a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment